12 April 2013

Breastfeeding: Our Love/Hate Relationship

Everyone knows (or should know) the benefits of breastfeeding. I could list quite a few from memory. Like less likely to develop allergies, less likely to be sick and when sick usually not as severe, decreased risk of sids, a boost in intelligence... and the list goes on.

And then there are more benefits for mom like lower risk of osteoporosis and breast cancer and other cancers, natural birth control and losing pregnancy weight faster.

All good things. And not even the only things I like about breastfeeding. I love its simplicity. No bottles, no mixing formula, no worry about running out at 3am. I love its ready 24/7. I love its low cost--free! I love that I have to hold her while she's eating-- no bottle propping. I love how easy she is soothed by this.

But my relationship with breastfeeding hasn't been all flowers and candy. There are some things that make bottle feeding look very tempting.

I hate I can't delegate some feedings. She blatantly refuses the bottle. She took it fine until 3 months then wasn't having it.

I hate being a slave to feeding her though truth be told its much better now. Before she could make it about an hour and a half between meals and that almost killed me but now its usually 2.5 to 3. Mostly 3.

I hate having to leave the room when company comes over to feed her. This is my issue but still annoying.

I hate not being able to leave her with anyone for a substantial amount of time. Moms need breaks too!

I hate not being able to wear what I want. Hoodies and tight short sleeve shirts are way too inconvenient. Or eat and drink what I want. Alcohol for one. But also Em had reflux which was diagnosed a milk allergy and i couldn't eat dairy...however with some research on my part I found it was actually an oversupply of milk. I am a very enthusiastic milk maker! But all seems to be in control now.

But its obvious the benefits and things I love far outweigh the disadvantages and truth be told I wouldn't ever switch to formula unless medically necessary.

I will stick with it one full year and then move to cows milk. (Although I have no problem with extended BF its not for me)

Anyone on here breastfeed? What did you like/dislike about it?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
;